John McElroy on Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:30:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

I too have DCA.NET as my ISP running over a Verizon ADSL line.  DCA.NET is very good.  They provide static IP addresses (up to 5 I believe).  I'm running my own mail server also (using qmail) and have not had any problems.

They do bind the IP address they give you to a MAC address you give them but later you can change the association if you change NICs or reconfigure your network.  However, they only provide one e-mail address free.  It costs extra for additional e-mail addresses on their mail server.  My web server works well also across the DCA.NET/Verizon connection.

The reason I changed was because of Verizon (the ISP) blocking ports such that I could not run a mail or web server.  The switch was not all that easy since it was troublesome getting Verizon to relinquish control of the line and DCA.NET can not take control until the line is free.  Of course that is not a problem if you have a whole new line installed or have a second line you can put DCA.NET on.