Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:30:08 +0100

[PLUG] DNS, ceding to another server

Anyone know if it's possible to tell bind a bunch of IP addresses for
a domain and then say "but you should do a normal lookup for the
following names."

More specifically, purple.com DNS is handled in a nice, public
place. But inside my house I want machines to have names within
purple, too, just for my own use. But they have 192.168.0.0 addresses.

So I set up bind at home to know that dog, cat, and horse are all in
.purple.com and have 192.168 addresses. But I still want to be able to
resolve www.purple.com, say. But I don't handle DNS for that address
myself.

What I've done in the past is to write in the ip for www in
/var/bind/db.purple, but this is yucky.

(And clearly, to head off comment, the public purple.com DNS can't
talk about dog.purple.com, since dog has a 192.168 address...)

--
 Jeff