gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:40:06 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Business DSL reccomendation?

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 11:23:49AM -0500, Barry Roomberg wrote:
> I want an ISP that will handle alternative MX/mail
> holding during any DSL downtime.  Covad is evil,
> and sets up a catchall email account.  Painful.

I use Speakeasy.net, and I'm pretty happy with it. They've very
tech-savvy. They are a Covad reseller (which means you could
*probably* switch over on your existing line, depending on whether
or not they've got equipment in your CO), but they do all the ISP
stuff, which MX backups would be. I don't know off-hand whether they
offer that service exactly, but it seems likely given that thei
userbase is about half sysadmins and about half online gamers. In
the time I've had their service (two and a half years), my DSL has
been down a total of maybe 48 hours, and it was always Verizon's
fault. (You get this no matter what: they control all the lines,
unless you're getting dark fiber.)

DCANet, who is local to the Philly area, was cheaper than Speakeasy
and equally competent when I checked things out. (I went with
Speakeasy because I didn't know where I'd be living after graduating
from Swarthmore. Speakeasy's national, so I could keep most of my
existing setup and relationship with them.)

Unless I'm mistaken, Voicenet also does DSL service, but maybe
that's what you've got already?

There've been a lot of conversations about this on the list already,
and I'd say you should check the archives, but I don't think we have
any right online right now. Ahem, mct?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net