jeff on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:48:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] non profit linux

There is a TON of Microsoft software in the nonprofit world in Philadelphia.

Yeah, but there's a ton of it *everywhere*.

Doesn't it make sense that nonprofits would prefer open-source
(philosophically and financially)?

I would. I even work at a non-profit.
I'd love to go to linux for so many reasons but the main roadblock is that *I* am the only person out of about 400 who knows anything about linux and I don't know that much. The people I work with are still confounded by Win98. They'll call every day with the same problem, largely one that can be solved with a reboot. Then they'll call the next day with a similar problem. Trying to insert knowledge is more difficult than getting a raise.

Q. What's the only thing dumber than one of my coworkers?
A. Two of my coworkers.

Having said that, I will eventually put together a system that looks like Windows enough to fool them. If I can pull this one off, maybe I can deploy a few desktops. Heaven knows I won't have to worry about them installing instant messengers (or much of anything else).
Maybe that will work for you too. Give them pretty much what they're used to using.

The real price of Linux, however, for these groups is an initial knowledge
investment that most people are too afraid/unwilling/don't know how to make

It would be like trying to pry open a car with a match :) (where I work, at least)

Seriously, it's a rather large proposition. Plus there are lots of people who know Windows. Not so with linux, and you'll definitely need lots of support.

appreciate any input from you. How to train people?

Gunpoint. If that fails, tell them their job depends on it.

I'm sorry... I'm sure there are some people out there who can adapt. I'm just thinking of what it will be like when I try this.

Best of luck, Jeff