Time on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:58:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 08:34:07AM -0500, Time wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:19:35PM -0500, Molnar, Bradley wrote:
> > Ok, for anyone who is wondering, here are the changes to the X config that I
> > had to make to get the mouse to work.
> >
> > Changed
> >
> > Option  "Device"  "/dev/psaux" (or "/dev/sunmouse")
>
> For a sun Type5 Keyboard and mouse setup this should be the correct
> setting.

> > Option  "Device"  "/dev/mouse"
>
> This device shouldn't even be present (AFAIK) There was an interesting
> trick I saw on the USB Linux page, where you can cat the mouse (heh,
> cat mouse...) device and move your mouse to watch the protocol stream.
> If the protocol stream CR/LF's a lot that's indication that is the
> incorrect dev and/or protocol. (Don't forget about the typing reset
> blindly trick if your VT get's all stuck in graphics mode)

My mistake, the device is present, there is what I have:

sixtyfour:~# ls -al /dev/sunmouse
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   6 Apr 13  2001 /dev/sunmouse
sixtyfour:~# ls -al /dev/mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            7 Nov  7 15:27 /dev/mouse ->
gpmdata
sixtyfour:~# ls -al /dev/psaux
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Apr 13  2001 /dev/psaux

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "CorePointer"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/sunmouse"
    Option      "Protocol"      "BusMouse"
EndSection

> > And
> >
> > Option "Protocol"  "PS/2" (or "ImPS/2")

> > Option "Protocal"  "busmouse"
>
> This definitely incorrect.  Sun Type5's use the PS/2 protocol.

Actually, I'm definitely incorrect, and you are very very correct, it
does use busmouse as the proto, I never noticed that till now. o_O

--
Regards,

Time

   13