gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:10:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] swap question

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 11:29:03AM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> Anybody aware if there's still a problem in linux
> (i'm using 2.4 kernel / redhat 7.0 and above) for using swap
> partitions more than 128 megs?  Old docs had this warning
> of using > 128 megs before.   I have been able to create
> (just for fun) a swap of 1 gig and "free" and /proc/meminfo
> appears to be recoginizing correctly, would there be a
> problem?

Wow. That was ever a limitation?

No, you should definitely follow the same basic methodology under
Linux that you would under any other OS. If you've got less than
about 256 MBs of memory, swap should be doulbe the size of your
memory. If you've got more than that, it should be the size of your
memory.

If you've got some reason to deviate from that rule, you'll know you
have a good reason. If you're in doubt, you probably don't have a
good reason.

(Btw, the reason you should really have a swap *partition* at least
the size of your physical memory is that that's where the crash dump
gets written when your kernel panics. You want that so you can
figure out why it panic'ed. After you reboot, it should end up in
/var/crash or thereabouts. Note that this is generic Unix stuff... I
don't know that Linux does things exactly that way.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net