Bill Jonas on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 23:10:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] swap question

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:50:11PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> (Btw, the reason you should really have a swap *partition* at least
> the size of your physical memory is that that's where the crash dump
> gets written when your kernel panics. You want that so you can
> figure out why it panic'ed. After you reboot, it should end up in
> /var/crash or thereabouts. Note that this is generic Unix stuff... I
> don't know that Linux does things exactly that way.)

Linux doesn't yet do that.  Or rather, it does, but it's in a separate
add-on patch.  It's at <http://lkcd.sf.net>.  It appears that the patch
was started by SGI, judging from the third Google result when searching
on 'lkcd' (Linux Kernel Crash Dump).  (Note that the impression I get is
that this is not likely to be in 2.6/3.0, at least based on what I read
at
<http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/linux-kernel/archive/2002-Week-44/0094.html>.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin