Arthur S. Alexion on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:00:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] evolution/devolution

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 11:13 am, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:53, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > The problem I am having is less dependencies so much as conflicts
> > with this evolution behemoth that seems to have left its mark
> > everywhere
>
> In this, I would have to agree with you. Evolution, in particular, is
> a prime example of this phenomenon: it uses the latest GNOME packages
> and requires you to stay in step with the GNOME project, regardless
> of whatever else you use that might rely on the older libraries.

As much as I may not like MS, the company, my greatest motivation for
switching to linux is that I did not like the Windows Product
Philosophy (TM).  More to the point, I did not switch to Linux in order
to continue with Windows' problems.  Evolution has in many ways
succeeded in mimicking Outlook.  I even had my browser automatically
start up and go to a web site just by opening a piece of mail.  Worse,
there was even that outlook thing of displaying addressee names instead
of addresses, really a drag when you are writing to someone for whom
you have multiple addresses, and you want to make sure you use the
right one (I don't want to send an MP3 to a cell phone.)  My uninstall
nightmare shouldn't happen if I knew what packages were installed.  I
could just uninstall them, and then reinstall the stuff it told me it
deleted.  Problem is, it asked for permission to delete two packages,
and removed 109 instead.  Plus, it installed countless packages of its
own, without a log file for me to see what and where.  This is the most
frustrated I have been since I switched, which tells you something.