Tobias DiPasquale on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:40:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] evolution/devolution

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:53, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> The problem I am having is less dependencies so much as conflicts with
> this evolution behemoth that seems to have left its mark everywhere

In this, I would have to agree with you. Evolution, in particular, is a
prime example of this phenomenon: it uses the latest GNOME packages and
requires you to stay in step with the GNOME project, regardless of
whatever else you use that might rely on the older libraries. What makes
it worse is that the newer versions of the GNOME libraries frequently
aren't backwards compatible (v1.4 was not compatible with v1.2, and v2
is not compatible with v1.4), so that leaves the end-user in the
position of having to decide which apps are most important to them and
update or not update based on that. A quandary, to be sure. That coupled
with the fact that the RPM packaging format is especially broken, you
have a real problem there, my friend. My suggestion would be to switch
to a dpkg-based distro, if at all possible. This would alleviate a lot
of your headaches.

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >> | UNIX Software Engineer | http://cbcg.net/