christophe barbe on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:10:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] evolution/devolution

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:13:13AM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 10:53, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > The problem I am having is less dependencies so much as conflicts with
> > this evolution behemoth that seems to have left its mark everywhere
>
> In this, I would have to agree with you. Evolution, in particular, is a
> prime example of this phenomenon: it uses the latest GNOME packages and
> requires you to stay in step with the GNOME project, regardless of
> whatever else you use that might rely on the older libraries. What makes
> it worse is that the newer versions of the GNOME libraries frequently
> aren't backwards compatible (v1.4 was not compatible with v1.2, and v2
> is not compatible with v1.4), so that leaves the end-user in the
> position of having to decide which apps are most important to them and
> update or not update based on that. A quandary, to be sure. That coupled

You can install Gnome1 libs and Gnome2 libs at the same time on a given
system. So you don't have to choose. In fact most evolution users (which
is still a gnome1 app, even the 1.2 release this week) are gnome2 users.

> with the fact that the RPM packaging format is especially broken, you
> have a real problem there, my friend. My suggestion would be to switch
> to a dpkg-based distro, if at all possible. This would alleviate a lot
> of your headaches.

There I agree. It should not be the user problem to take care of the
dependencies. But I believe the real problem with rpm packages is not
rpm itself but the quality of the packages. You can find them everywhere
in various quality, sometimes providing the same library but with a
different name.

Christophe

> --
> << Tobias DiPasquale >> | UNIX Software Engineer | http://cbcg.net/

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   Albert Einstein, On Science