Bradley J. Molnar on Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] master vs slave?

new machines (well mine does this and it is about 3 weeks old) don't
care which one (master/slave) the boot drive is.  However, they do
usually care is there is only one drive on the connection and it is
labeled slave.  Sometimes you need to tell a drive if it is the only one
(Western Digitals seem to need this), some will auto sense if there is a
slave or not (IBM drives tend to do this).

I had that lilo thing happen to me once too.  Had to reformat the
drive.  However, (in theory at least) you should be able to put that
drive in another computer and install the boot loader to that drive
(Grub asks for a drive to install to, I think lilo does too).  This
would save your install and any data you might have on it.

-brad