Stephen Gran on Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:38:19 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird APT error message

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:44:00PM -0500, Michael Leone said:
> So what do we make of this:

<snip apt segfaulting>

You've been bitten by a bad c++ library in unstable.  The temporary fix
is to make a symlink in /usr/lib.  Sadly, I can't remeber which symlink
is broken, but it's one of:
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
libstdc++.so.3
(I think it's one of the first two)
If you look around in /usr/lib, you'll notice that one of these is
missing, and there is instead a symlink of a similar name, but missing
the '-'.  Nice huh, total breakage of all c++ apps because of a typo in
postinst.  Once you recreate the proper symlink, upgrade.  The fix is
now in unstable.  Don't however, upgrade bonobo-activation if you want
GNOME to start )^: - yet another mysterious break, but this one sounds
like it's not the maintainer, but an upstream problem.

|Stephen Gran                  | While your friend holds you affectionately    |
|steve@lobefin.net             | by both your hands you are safe, for you can  |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | watch both of his.   -- Ambrose Bierce, "The  |
|                              | Devil's Dictionary"                           |