Bradley Molnar on Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:40:20 -0500

RE: [PLUG] LAN on RedHat?

I had a wireless lan running on RedHat 6.1 back in the day, so, I know that
it can work.

One of the problems is that it isn't all that friendly to install most
wireless lan cards.  It depends on how your set up is, there are many
different brands of wireless cards using several different chips inside.
Redhat 8 detected and installed both wireless and wired cards without any
configuration from me (expect to tell it DHCP or static).

But, I had a laptop, so, the setup might be a lot different if you have a
desktop card or a USB wireless adaptor.

If you have a desktop pcmcia adaptor, that needs even more configurations.

-brad

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Brian Spooner
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 12:07 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] LAN on RedHat?

Hi,

I have been running RedHat 7.3 on a DSL line for some time.  Recently I
installed a wireless lan behind it, and was surprised to find that there
appeared to be no support for the lan.  So I switched to Mandrake and it
came up with no trouble.  But I would like to get back to RedHat.  I find
it difficult to believe that RedHat does not include lan support.  Am I
missing something.  Is Mandrake the only distribution that does it?

brian

Brian Spooner
Anthropology
U. Pa. Museum