gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:10:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ssh question

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 02:43:09AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> ok, how about
>
> ssh -o "PasswordAuthentication no" user@host
>
> ?

He wanted to specify it on the server side, not the user side, and
for a subset of his users, not all of them.

Only way is the gold star club (or anything that isn't a valid SHA1
or md5 hash) in /etc/shadow (or wherever your shared secret password
file lives). Looks like each Linux distro uses a different
passwd(1), none of the overtly GNU (at least, Red Hat's and Debian's
are different), and all that POSIX speicifies about -l (if memory
serves) is that it lock the account. I'm fairly sure that Red Hat's
replaces the existing password with "!!". I don't know what Debian
does.

Having sections specific to users in sshd_config, like we have
sections specific to hosts in ssh_config would be nice. Hell, having
sections specific to local interfaces in sshd_config would be nice;
right now you have to run two separate servers if you want separate
permissions on a multi-homed host (like say if you want to use a
different host key for each, like say if you're consolidating
multiple machines into one, but want it to be as seamless as
possible for your users).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net