Kevin Brosius on Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:11:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Playing with Fire?

Jon Nelson wrote:

> Tobias DiPasquale said:
> > On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 16:46, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > Yeah but 'make oldconfig' relies on the .config file. If its not
> > present, there is pretty much no way to figure out exactly what's in the
> > kernel with disassembling it.
> >
> uhhhhh...To the best of my recolection I didn't have a .config until I ran
> 'make oldconfig'.  Also from Red Hats site:
>
> "make oldconfig - This is a  non-interactive script that will set up your
> configuration file to contain the default settings. If you are using the
> default Red Hat Linux kernel, it will create a configuration file for the
> kernel that shipped with Red Hat Linux for your architecture. This is
> useful for setting up your kernel to known working defaults and then
> turning off features that you do not want."
>
> Maybe this is just Red Hat, I dunno.

Maybe RH modifies the oldconfig target.  I know SuSE offers another
option which can read the config of a running kernel.  It's called 'make
cloneconfig' and works as long as the kernel is built with an option to
generate a compressed copy of the config in the compiled kernel
(/proc/config.gz.)  As far as I know this is SuSE specific though, so
you'll need to use their kernel RPMs for this to work.

--
Kevin Brosius