Tobias DiPasquale on Fri, 29 Nov 2002 08:50:05 -0500

[PLUG] DHCP failing on OpenBSD/SPARC

Hi all,

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but in light of the recent
NetBSD/SPARC thread, I figure I'll give it a shot. I recently reclaimed
my Sun Blade 100 from school and installed OpenBSD (3.0, the most recent
disks I had) on it because Solaris was being flaky. I found, however,
that DHCP was not working with it (I have Comcast, which works fine with
my other machines). I put "dhcp" in the hostname.gem0 file, as
instructed to by the OpenBSD FAQ, but that failed to bring me
connectivity. I checked /etc/dhclient.conf [1] and that looked fine, but
when I run dhclient manually, it segfaults with the following unhelpful
output:

spbsd# dhclient gem0
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client 2.0p15-OpenBSD
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
spbsd#

Yes, gem0 is the interface corresponding to the (correct, existing)
ethernet card I wish to configure. dhclient does not have a "verbose"
option, and /var/log/messages has no output from any dhclient process,
either. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Has anyone seen
this before/know what's causing it? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I did search Google a bit before posting here, but all I found were
listings for various DHCP-related software for OpenBSD. Oh well...

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
UNIX Software Engineer