Stephen Gran on Fri, 29 Nov 2002 03:10:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian dpkg questions: copying and holding

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:38:30AM -0500, sean finney said:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:20:57AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > I don't follow .. if I do this, then what do I do to install it all, if this
> > doesn't install the selections? Do I do a apt-get -f install?
>
> apt-get dselect-upgrade is what does that iirc.  dpkg --[sg]et-selections
> is used to modify what's sort of the requested status for a package,
> and apt-get dselect-upgrade uses those settings as a reference for
> deciding what to install and remove.

The only other to note here is the difference between
`dpkg --get selections > file` and `dpkg --get selections * > file` -
the second version wil also record information about programs _not_
installed.  Make it easy.

And yes to Sean - apt-get dselect-upgrade is the one.

|  Stephen Gran                  | About the time we think we can make     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | ends meet, somebody moves the ends.   - |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | - Herbert Hoover                        |