Mike Leone on Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:40:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian dpkg questions: copying and holding

Jeff Abrahamson (jeff@purple.com) had this to say on 11/28/02 at 10:38:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:05:42AM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> > > Also, I'm moving to a new machine, and I'd like the new machine to
> > > have all the stuff the old one has. I've thought about
> >
> > this definitely is a job for dpkg --set/get-selections.
> >
> > just do
> >
> > oldhost# dpkg --get-selections | ssh root@newhost "dpkg --set-selections"
> >
> > newhost# apt-get dselect-upgrade
>
> Ah, yes. Thank you. Had I but read the examples portion of the dpkg
> man page:
>
>        To make a local copy of the package selection states:
>             dpkg --get-selections >myselections
>
>        You  might  transfer  this file to another computer, and
>        install it there with:
>             dpkg --set-selections <myselections
>        Note that this will not actually install or  remove  anything,
>        but just  set  the selection state on the requested packages.
>        You will need some other application to actually download  and
>        install  the requested packages.

I don't follow .. if I do this, then what do I do to install it all, if this
doesn't install the selections? Do I do a apt-get -f install?

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348