Mike Leone on Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:40:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [debian question] Using journaling fs with woody install

Tobias DiPasquale (toby@cbcg.net) had this to say on 11/28/02 at 11:16:
> On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 11:02, Mike Leone wrote:
> > I'm trying to install woody (aka Debian v3). Here's the thing - the disk I'm
> > using already has ext2 and ReiserFS partitions. I figured I'd just
> > initialize the partition (to clear it), and then mount it. But when I tell
> > it to initialize a Linux partition, it initializes it as ext2 ... even tho
> > fdisk shows it's type as ReiserFS, during the "Partition a hard disk" phase. :-)
> >
> > So what am I doing wrong? I'd like either ReiserFS or ext3, but the
> > initialize partition command seems to want to use ext2.
>
> I don't think the Debian installer can handle ReiserFS partitions. I
> think it only does ext2 and swap. I tried to do a similar thing with
> Debian and ext3, and I had to add the journal post-installation because
> the installer only handled ext2. I might be wrong on this one, but I've
> never heard of anyone doing what you're talking about...

How ... non-friendly. :-) So the official CDs don't allow a journalling
filesystem to be installed at installation time? Which means if I want
ReiserFS or some other journalling fs (JFS, XFS, etc), I'm either out of
luck, or need a spare disk to hold the contents of the partition, which I
delete and re-make the partition after it's running?

And here I thought woody would be a lot better during install than potato
was. :-)

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348