sean finney on Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:20:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [debian question] Using journaling fs with woody install

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:24:22AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> How ... non-friendly. :-) So the official CDs don't allow a journalling
> filesystem to be installed at installation time? Which means if I want
> ReiserFS or some other journalling fs (JFS, XFS, etc), I'm either out of
> luck, or need a spare disk to hold the contents of the partition, which I
> delete and re-make the partition after it's running?

well i don't know if that's completely true... to turn an ext2 to an
ext3 partition all you do it tune2fs -j, which you can do after
the fact without any damage.

as far as using reiserfs goes, CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is
not set in the default kernel for the install.  but *it
is* however included in the bf2.4 series of boot floppies
(ftp://fpt.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-<arch>/current/images-1.44/bf2.4)
so if you really wanted a reiserfs partition, you could initialize it
before hand, or if it's already there do the magic rm -rf <mountpoint>/*
and then you should be able to mount it without having to initialize it.

> And here I thought woody would be a lot better during install than potato
> was. :-)

well imho the installer has always been the weakest link for debian
(which, if you think about it, says a lot of good), but i'm hearing lots
of buzz that the debian-installer folks have some cool stuff in store RSN.

	sean