Mike Leone on Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:40:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [debian question] Using journaling fs with woody install

sean finney (seanius@seanius.net) had this to say on 11/28/02 at 12:13:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 11:24:22AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > How ... non-friendly. :-) So the official CDs don't allow a journalling
> > filesystem to be installed at installation time? Which means if I want
> > ReiserFS or some other journalling fs (JFS, XFS, etc), I'm either out of
> > luck, or need a spare disk to hold the contents of the partition, which I
> > delete and re-make the partition after it's running?
>
> well i don't know if that's completely true... to turn an ext2 to an
> ext3 partition all you do it tune2fs -j, which you can do after
> the fact without any damage.

Right. Even so, an extra step that (IMO) should not be necessary, during the
install.

> as far as using reiserfs goes, CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is
> not set in the default kernel for the install.  but *it
> is* however included in the bf2.4 series of boot floppies
> (ftp://fpt.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-<arch>/current/images-1.44/bf2.4)

Hmm! I do have those, altho I had downloaded them for use on a laptop that
did not have a CD.

> so if you really wanted a reiserfs partition, you could initialize it
> before hand, or if it's already there do the magic rm -rf <mountpoint>/*
> and then you should be able to mount it without having to initialize it.

Yes, the partitions are there, but not initialized (i.e., not empty). I
don't have another Linux box (atm) where I could initialize the partitions
ahead of time.

> > And here I thought woody would be a lot better during install than potato
> > was. :-)
>
> well imho the installer has always been the weakest link for debian
> (which, if you think about it, says a lot of good), but i'm hearing lots
> of buzz that the debian-installer folks have some cool stuff in store RSN.

I have no main Linux desktop right now, so waiting isn't appealing. Not to
mention, that these issues (including journalling FS support) should have
been in the installation routine WELL before now. You shouldn't have to jump
thru such hoops for something that has been standard in other distros for a
long while (over a yr) in most other distros. Especially something so useful
as a FS choice. :-)

Anyway, I'll see about using the floppies. Thanks.

Any idea if those floppies happen to support a PDC20269 chipset ATA133 disk
controller? I have one of those I'd like to use.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>
Registered Linux user# 201348