sean finney on Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:10:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [debian question] Using journaling fs with woody install

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:26:59PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> Right. Even so, an extra step that (IMO) should not be necessary, during the
> install.

it doesn't have to be during the install, you can do it afterwards.
i mean yeah, it'd be nice if they asked you 'do you want ext3', but
this could also be because ext3 is still considered experimental in
the kernel source, and this is a stable install floppy.

> > so if you really wanted a reiserfs partition, you could initialize it
> > before hand, or if it's already there do the magic rm -rf <mountpoint>/*
> > and then you should be able to mount it without having to initialize it.
>
> Yes, the partitions are there, but not initialized (i.e., not empty). I
> don't have another Linux box (atm) where I could initialize the partitions
> ahead of time.

well boot into the install floppy, as soon as it says "welcome to the
debian installer", hit ctrl-alt-f2 for a root prompt, mount it, rm -rf,
unmount, and continue with the install!

> I have no main Linux desktop right now, so waiting isn't appealing. Not to
> mention, that these issues (including journalling FS support) should have
> been in the installation routine WELL before now. You shouldn't have to jump
> thru such hoops for something that has been standard in other distros for a
> long while (over a yr) in most other distros. Especially something so useful
> as a FS choice. :-)

well i don't consider
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt && rm -rf /mnt/* && umount /mnt
# tune2fs -j /dev/hda4

do be *that* big of hoops to go through... :)

> Any idea if those floppies happen to support a PDC20269 chipset ATA133 disk
> controller? I have one of those I'd like to use.

well it looks like the promise controller is, though i couldn't tell you
if it will work at 133.

	sean