sean finney on Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:00:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Knoppix/Debian apt-get

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:41:17AM -0500, jeff wrote:
> >also pull some tricks with either unstable deb-src entries or
> >adding pin entries in apt.conf and keep yourself at the current
> >state.
>
> Where can I research the specifics on this?
> Knoppix did the installation so I haven't had contact with deb-src or
> apt.conf, although I think I get the general concept.

well personally what i do is have deb entries for testing, and deb-src
entries for unstable, so if i need something from unstable i can
explicitly download it with apt-get source and build my own package.
however, it looks like evolution has quite a big dependency list, and
i don't know how well this method fairs with dealing with dependencies.

as far as pinning goes, i've never done this myself, but i recall other
folks posting to this list on the topic in the past.  the fine manpage
doesn't seem to mention it, but there may be something in /usr/share/doc¸
or that failing, i'd go to debian-user.

	sean