Walt Mankowski on Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:20:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Window Maker

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:41:12AM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 11:21, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 04:12:01PM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> > > Well, actually, I've only used WindowMaker a few times, but I switched
> > > to IceWM, which is pretty stable, VERY fast and runs every GNOME and KDE
> > > app I throw at it. It's fast to compile and easy to configure; a pretty
> > > good replacement for WindowMaker if you want something fast.
> >
> > How could a WM fail to run an app (unless it is incomplete and doesn't
> > support all dressings and so forth)?
>
> You've answered your own question.

Yes, that's the issue.  Windowmaker (and some other window managers
these days) has special support for these apps.  They can run along
the side of the screen without any titlebars or borders or such.  If
you run them in something like IceWM they generally end up with a big
unsightly titlebar.

Walt