Kevin D. McAllister on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 08:21:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Java Applets in Konqueror and Mozilla

* Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 10:16:16PM -0500, Time wrote:
> oooops. Java is in:
>
> /etc/make.profile/make.defaults

Yeah I have been bitten by that before.  Typically what I do when I
set up my USE variable is copy the entry from make.defaults, and throw
it in /etc/make.conf, then I customize the one in make.conf by adding
a '-' before items I want removed from the USE variable, and adding
additional ones as needed.  That way I don't have to check two places
and portage doesn't care if you have a package asserted in your
make.defaults and also in your make.conf.  (You just have to be
careful on an emerge --update that /etc/make.profile/make.defaults
isn't changed, putting some stuff in there you didn't know about.)
You can combat this by making sure that the make.defaults file is
protected by their configuration file protection scheme, I don't
recall if it is by default.

> Thanks for the clarification Kev.

NP.  :)

--