eric@lucii.org on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:20:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Laptop reboots -- Comcast or static or age?

For static discharge, a 1M resistor (1 MegOhm) is
sufficient.  This will prevent you from conducting a fatal
(or even painful) current should you come in contact with
something that is of lower voltage and lower impedance (IE:
110V AC) while grounded by the strap.

You would be amazed at the number of mis-wired electrical
circuits and devices there are out there.  Some small
televisions, for example, have one side of the AC line tied
to the "frame".  It's supposed to be the neutral but if
somebody screws up the wiring in the electrical panel or the
outlet box you can end up in lots of trouble.

Eric