Paul on Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:34:16 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Copy Window harddrive using a Linux boot floppy?

I had used xcopy to transfer/upgrade pre-Win9x PC's to Win9x, so long file names weren't an issue. I believe newer versions of xcopy or xcopy32 will handle long file names. Yeah, I did do a Win95 to Win98 transfer/upgrade using xcopy or xcopy32. The command is something like "xcopy c: d: /s /e /v".

The file names might not seem to be correct when viewed in DOS, but they should work in Windows. Very long paths might pose a problem. Also, an active swap file will not copy and it will cause the command to fail.

Kevin Brosius wrote:

Do newer versions of xcopy handle long filenames? I had trouble in the
past because DOS 6 and Win95 (iirc) xcopy do not handle the long
filename info. That will leave your new partition copies mangled for
Windows use.

I ended up using xcopy (or maybe Norton Commander, same thing) along
with a third party utility that would backup long filenames and then
restore them after a copy operation. It was a freeware/shareware
utility, although I don't have the name in front of me.