Stephen Gran on Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:00:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mutt is haywire

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:21:12PM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> I need some help desperately.
>
> I use mutt.  It's worked fine for over a year.  Suddenly, I
> cannot compose an email to send.  The program freezes when it
> goes to open the output file to edit.  I have to kill the terminal.
>
> The only thing that changed was I recently rebooted and had to
> run fsck because the machine was powered down before the reboot
> was complete (different story for different day).
>
> Since that time I've not been able to compose an email.
>
> It creates the temporary output file in /tmp but never opens
> it up to edit.
>
> I've moved .muttrc and .mailcap to other names without success.
>
> Anybody have any ideas what's going on?
>
> TIA!
>
> Eric Lucas

You have, as others have said, either an $EDITOR problem or a $DISPLAY
problem.  To diagnose, try running mutt from a console, rather than a
term in X.  If it still fails, then it's presumably an $EDITOR problem.
You can then try running that editor and seeing what goes wrong (strace,
etc.).  To fix mutt, just switch editors in .muttrc.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Life only demands from you the strength |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | you possess. Only one feat is possible  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- not to have run away.   -- Dag       |
|  			         | Hammarskjold                            |