gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:40:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] tar and tape problem _

[Purposely breaking association with the Belkin OmniCube thread on
behalf of those using threaded mail readers.]

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:25:33PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> I was trying to backup about 16 gigs of info to a
> tape, and close to the end, I get:
>
> Tar: Error exit delayed previous errors
>
> I've seen that before when just creating normal tar
> files.  How can I find the source of this problem so I
> can fix it.  I would like to automate tape backups
> with a nightly cron job and not have to worry about
> problems like this.  Any suggestions?  thanks!

Typically one sees this error if tar spewed a warning about being
unable to reliably backup a file open for writing when it passed
over it. Depending on whose tar you're using and what options you
gave it, you may well have the file backed up anyway. You'd do well
to redirect verbose output of the command to a file and review that
file to see what the previous errors were.

If it is (as I've seen it be) that you're trying to back up a file
that's being written to, the only valid advice is Don't Do That. Though
almost everyone does it, you really shouldn't backup from a live
file system (rather, it should be mounted read only).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net