Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:40:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] tar and tape problem

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:25:33PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> I was trying to backup about 16 gigs of info to a
> tape, and close to the end, I get:
>
> Tar: Error exit delayed previous errors
>
> I've seen that before when just creating normal tar
> files.  How can I find the source of this problem so I
> can fix it.  I would like to automate tape backups
> with a nightly cron job and not have to worry about
> problems like this.  Any suggestions?  thanks!

Look back through tar's output. Typically somewhere there was a
non-fatal error: a single, unreadable file, for example. It's not
sufficient to cause tar to abort, but at the end it reminds you that
something failed.

Your tar archive on tape is probably fine except for something it
couldn't include.

It can be helpful to send stdout one place and stderr another, or to
skip the -v option so that you don't get such overwhelming
output. This is a matter of personal taste.

--
 Jeff