mjd-lists-plug on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:40:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] tar and tape problem

> Tar: Error exit delayed previous errors

That just means that tar encountered an error at some earlier point
that wasn't serious enough to abort execution.  THis happens, for
example, if it is asked to archive a file for which it doesn't have
read permission.

In such a case, it continues to archive the other files, but it exits
with a non-zero status to indicate that it was only partially
successful, and it prints this warning message at the end in case you
missed the earlier message that actually described what was wrong---as
it appears happened in this case.

> How can I find the source of this problem so I
> can fix it.

You should probably start by examinging the tar output to find out
what the 'problem' actually is.