Marc Zucchelli on Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:00:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] tar and tape problem _

> you really shouldn't backup
> from a live
> file system (rather, it should be mounted read
> only).

This makes sense, right now I can do that since it's
just a fileserver that people use 9-5, but I have a
feeling we'll be setting up another server sometime
soon used to host websites.  Obviously it is not a
good idea to remount a partition that has live
websites on it to read-only, even at odd hours of the
night.  In this case, is it still a bad idea to run
backups on the live, writable filesystem?

Other than that...I just simulated the problem by
taring a list of files, and making one of them not
readable to the user that was taring it, I found that
all the messages I need go right to stderr, this
should be a good start for me, thanks everyone.

Marc