Stephen Gran on Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:10:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] gnome problems

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 12:23:10PM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion said:
> a while back, I got some help getting rid of some of the unwanted
> effects of an evolution install.  With help from this list and a very
> helpful guy named Mark Gordon on the Evolution list, I was able to
> restore the kdm login and jpilot/pilot-link.  All I wanted to do was to
> run evolution as an MUA so that I could get mail when occasionally
> using gnome instead of firing up kmail and the kdelibs in gnome.
>
> I believe that it was Mark who advised me that uninstalling the
> gnome-pilot and pilot-link.ximian packages and reinstall jpilot and the
> basic pilot-link would reinvigor jpilot synching while keeping the MUA
> capabilities of evolution.
>
> On this list, I got help changing /etc/sysconfig/desktop to restore kdm.
>
> That worked for a while, but now gnome won't load and evolution won't
> run under windowmaker either.
>
> Gnome seems to load, but no panel and no desktop icons.  Just
> wallpaper.  My only option is ctrl+alt+<backspace>.
>
> Trying to launch evolution from a terminal in windowmaker indicates
> that the launching script or binary is gone.
>
> Red carpet seems to be gone too, except the directories are still there.
>
> I don't have a clue what happened.

If this is GNOME2, the bonobo libs caused exactly this sort of breakage
recently.  You need to downgrade back to the last working version (1.3,
I think)  If it's not GNOME2, then I'm not sure.

|  Stephen Gran                  | All a man needs out of life is a place  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | to sit 'n' spit in the fire.            |