Gregson Helledy on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 16:18:16 -0500

[PLUG] Linux spreadsheets

As a spreadsheet jockey (Excel), I can say that the KOffice spreadsheet
is not ready for prime time.
Gnumeric is better, but I still found it awkward to use.
(Both are the versions currently provided in Debian Woody).
I've installed openoffice 1.0.1 and, from what I've been able to see so far,
it's the best of the three.  Probably an adequate Excel replacement for
most people.  I have yet to tackle the macro language, though.
For the sake of market success, the availability of a free Windows version
is key.  People in the tech community should keep trying to create demand
for openoffice in the same way that the Windows majority makes it hard for
linux users to interact:  "What do you mean, you don't have Internet
Explorer?
Go download it, it's free!"
Especially for users of the single-user versions (95/98/ME) where the
install
is point-and-click, there's no reason everyone can't have openoffice
installed.
Probably best to keep the CD around, send out documents in openoffice
format, then
when people say "what's this?", you say "oh, you don't have OpenOffice yet?
Here you go."
:-)

Greg

OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 works great. I do all my spreadsheets with it, both
in windows and linux. It's nice to finally be able to share docs easily
between the two.

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise