Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:20:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux spreadsheets

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 15:21, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> As a spreadsheet jockey (Excel), I can say that the KOffice spreadsheet
> is not ready for prime time.
> Gnumeric is better, but I still found it awkward to use.
> (Both are the versions currently provided in Debian Woody).
> I've installed openoffice 1.0.1 and, from what I've been able to see so far,
> it's the best of the three.  Probably an adequate Excel replacement for
> most people.  I have yet to tackle the macro language, though.

I have the manual in PDF, but its in German (and a little dated; its for
StarOffice 5.2, but most of the stuff is covered; I doubt there are that
many new procedures and commands)

But...
Check out http://framework.openoffice.org/  If the project succeeds, you
will be able to use Java, C/C++, python and a lot of other languages
instead of learning the native API.

And...
While I like OOo Calc and Gnumeric, QuattroPro, while not OSS, runs
quite well in Linux (and IMO outperforms Excel in Windows as well)

> For the sake of market success, the availability of a free Windows version
> is key.  People in the tech community should keep trying to create demand
> for openoffice in the same way that the Windows majority makes it hard for
> linux users to interact:  "What do you mean, you don't have Internet
> Explorer?
> Go download it, it's free!"
> Especially for users of the single-user versions (95/98/ME) where the
> install
> is point-and-click, there's no reason everyone can't have openoffice
> installed.
> Probably best to keep the CD around, send out documents in openoffice
> format, then
> when people say "what's this?", you say "oh, you don't have OpenOffice yet?
> Here you go."
> :-)

Great idea.  Although I use word for hours every day, I still get
annoyed when people send me word docs.  Isn't that the reason PDFs
exist?