Michael Lazin on Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:20:08 -0500

RE: [PLUG] quake 3 sound problems

Thanks for the advice. I was able disable artsd and successfully load quake 3. Unfortunately, the sound and graphics are very choppy. Does anyone know of any linux gaming newsgroups or lists where I can get more help? Maybe I am expecting too much. I am running this on a laptop with 256 megs of Ram and a 1.2 ghz processor. It seems powerful enough, but I don't know how how well my intel 830m video card can handle openGL with linux.

Michael :)

From: "Garrett Comeaux" <g.comeaux@earthlink.net>
To: <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: RE: [PLUG] quake 3 sound problems
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:58:37 -0600

You may want to try changing your actual binary "call"
to a script "wrapper" that calls artsdsp /path/to/binary.

The artsd sound daemon grabs hold tightly to the /dev/dsp
device, as pointed out by Mr. Geiser.  Anyway, I've had
quite a bit of success with applications that try to use
the sound device and wait-wait-wait-wait for a sound daemon
to release it.  Gnome uses esd, I think.  The "wrapper" for
it is esddsp, if my memory serves. Rambling here, but
either artsdsp /path/to/binary/that/uses/sound
or
esddsp /path/to/binary...

-garrett