Chris Beggy on Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:01:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

"Arthur S. Alexion" <arthur@alexion.com> writes:

> The other Windows program that I find indispensable is QuickBooks.
> GNUCash may or may not be a replacement for Quicken, but even Quicken is
> not a replacement for QuickBooks.

Consider sql-ledger:

   http://www.sql-ledger.org

sql-ledger is a perl+apache+postgresql+latex GPL
bookkeeping/accounting package with support available for a
price.

If you take a look at the recent mailing list archives:

   http://www.freelists.org/archives/sql-ledger-users/

you will see that questions on the list run the range of "how do I
handle currency translation and VAT in A/R" to "how do I add a user
in postgresql."  From that you can tell that some users are
running businesses on sql-ledger and that the user base is
growing with newbies.

I've run household books for 6 months to evaluate SL. The results
were good enough that I'm dropping QuickBooks and converting
business books to SL for the next tax year.  I evaluated Appgen
MyBooks Pro and Nola in addition to SL.  MyBooks Pro was better,
but it's not GPL and doesn't have a published API.  SL is GPL,
and has been improving quickly enough that half of the things I
used the API for (check writing and memorized billing) have been
incorporated into the core since I started my evaluation.

SL has more bells and whistles for manufacturing and distribution
than it has for service and professional businesses, but that is
changing, too.  There's a user posse forming to add payroll and
a cash ledger now as well.

HTH.

Chris