epike on Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:21:05 -0500

[PLUG] apache+ssl question

hi

is it true for a fact that SSL support in apache will work
only on ONE IP address + port for each ssl server?  I've tried
many times last nite to try to make each virtualhost
listen on its own SSL connnection to no success:

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:443>
ServerName myvirtualhost1
SSLEnable
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:443>
ServerName myvirtualhost2
SSLEnable
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:443>

No matter how hard I try I always revert back to having
only 1 SSL virtual server.  In this example, Apache complains
and servers SSL only on the first virtual host: myvirtualhost1.

Further google'ing points to the fact that there is
a "chicken and egg" problem that this is due for technical
reasons, that there can be only 1 SSL per IP+port.

Before I think of other ways around this (SSL on multiple ports,
or maybe some creative port redirection), I just want
to verify again,

Only 1 SSL host per IPaddress + Port, right?

thanks for reading,
E. Pike / JondZ