gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:38:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] apache+ssl question

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:12:07PM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4
>
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:443>
> ServerName myvirtualhost1
> SSLEnable
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:443>
> ServerName myvirtualhost2
> SSLEnable
> <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:443>

This configuration doesn't make sense. If you're using named virtual
hosts, use them. If not, don't enable the option.

Having more than one named virtual host using SSL with Apache works
just fine (I'm doing it in production, but for firewall-accessibilty
and customer-privacy reasons, I'm not going to point you at the
server in question), provided that you've got a separate SSL cert
for each.

Something like

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4

<VirtualHost www.foo.dom:443>
  ServerName www.foo.dom
  [SSL options]
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.bar.dom:443>
  ServerName www.bar.dom
  [SSL options]
</VirtualHost>

is almost definitely what you want.

That's Apache 1.3.x syntax; it may have changed slightly for Apache
2.x.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net