gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:50:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Jobs

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:27:01PM -0500, Ari Winokur wrote:
> Can anyone help me?  I am looking to move to the philly area in
> the near future and therefore I am looking for employment in the
> area.  I am a relative newbie to linux but otherwise I am skilled
> and experienced in computers.  If anyone can help me with getting
> a job please contact me.

Don't think the company I work for has technical stuff open right
this second (but check; http://www.cc3.com/, there's a career link
on there somewhere; don't try it in Opera--all I have available on
this laptop--as the main page will crash the browser :^>), but I
have a few tips for posts like this:

- "Real" Unix people (like me! ;^>) read messages in ttys, not in
GUI windows. So wrap your messages at something under 80 columns and
(you didn't) and only send text (you did) to avoid an initial
irritation factor. (At this point, I'm so inured to it that I don't
even actually bat an eye replying to HTML-only, non-wrapped emails--
lynx --dump works quite well, it turns out, and running it through a
sed -e 's,^  ,>,' makes it easy to reply--as far as my time spent
goes, but it still tickles a pet peeve I share with plenty of
folks.)

- Give us a resume! Being a Linux newbie but knowing about computers
covers a ridiculously broad spectrum. Are you an MCSE? Are you a Mac
person? (My personal preference would be, by far, for the latter,
but...) What do you do? Networking stuff? Web "development"? Graphic
design? Computer layout? CAD? What's your backgound and education?

Cheers...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net