Jeff Weisberg on Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:01:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] apache+ssl question

| No matter how hard I try I always revert back to having
| only 1 SSL virtual server.  In this example, Apache complains
| and servers SSL only on the first virtual host: myvirtualhost1.
|
| Further google'ing points to the fact that there is
| a "chicken and egg" problem that this is due for technical
| reasons, that there can be only 1 SSL per IP+port.
|
| Before I think of other ways around this (SSL on multiple ports,
| or maybe some creative port redirection), I just want
| to verify again,
|
| Only 1 SSL host per IPaddress + Port, right?

correct.

for a normal virtual-host, apache distinguishes them
based on a 'Host:' header. with SSL, the entire
request (including the 'Host:' header) is encrypted,
so apache cannot distinguish them.

the "chicken-and-egg" is that you need to decrypt it
in order to get the 'Host:' header to determine which
virtual-host to use; but you need to know which
virtual-host to use in order to decrypt it.

	--jeff