Kevin Brosius on Thu, 02 Jan 2003 09:50:30 -0500

Re: Speakeasy - Re: [PLUG] Verizon Business DSL

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 04:19:46PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > I read that they had run out of the game consoles, so didn't push on
> > that (and don't play many games myself.)  Although I signed up for the
> > gamer, rather than sysadmin package, as I didn't have much interest in
> > the rpm service with sysadmin.  Gamer comes with a game update download
> > service of some kind, which I may not use either.
>
> Hrm. I got in before these goony-named packages. They all look
> exactly the same except for trappings to me. Oh well, whatever.

Yeah, my thought also.  They seem to throw in one of those 'extra'
services based on the name of the account order.

> (I wouldn't use any of those benefits. RPMs faster? Gee, swell, that
> does *me* a lot of good, running NetBSD, NeXTStep, Irix... And
> faster access to game servers? What, you mean like netris?)
>
> Anyway, I've said, till I'm pretty much sick of saying it, that I'm
> quite happy with Speakeasy, but would plausibly be happy also with
> DCANet. In fact, I've convinced a friend to get DCANet service
> around here (in Swarthmore) recently, so I may have something
> concrete to say about them the next time this question comes up
> (which it seems to every two months... gee, sure would be nice if we
> had current archives, wouldn't it? ;^>). The fact that they hand you
> a /29 is pretty neat.
>
> > Nice thing, they already setup reverse dns on the line.  Took about 48
> > hours from online request to completion.
>
> That's a longer turnaround than it used to be. I had mine within a
> couple of hours, but that all went through about a year and a half
> ago.

There's a day in there for holiday/Christmas/weekend time, so I can't
really complain.  Plus, I don't have the hardware yet, as I'm waiting
for the 5 day shipment from KY of the modem...

> I'm about to move (across a parking lot, but to a different phone
> NID, so there'll have to be a new Verizon install, then Covad
> hookup), and switch over to 768/768 SDSL. I've only spoken with

Wow.  Want to adopt me? :)  I was hoping to have the option of 1.5/768
ADSL, but neither Covad or Verizon offer it from my CO to my address.

--
Kevin Brosius