Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:30:34 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RPM & source

> I like RPM because I like the database that is created by the system for
> future uninstalls, upgrades, etc.
>
> I've used checkinstall when installing from source to create an RPM and
> update the RPM database.  That works fine when I am installing a program
> for the first time, but is not enough when upgrading.
>
> Right now, I want to upgrade mozilla 1.0.1 to 1.2.1, and gnumeric 0.67
> to 1.0.15 or something.  Neither have  RH7.x RPMS available so I want to
> upgrade from source.  any suggestions?

I suggest downloading a src rpm and putting it in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS

then do this:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
rpm --rebuild package.src.rpm

You should have a new shiny rpm in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS when it's done.

Alternatively, why not just compile it all in one directory? Then you can
delete it when you are done w/ it.

Mozilla has a binary installer from its website that will stick mozilla in
/usr/local/mozilla. The garnome project will compile gnumeric for you w/
all deps (kind of like the BSD ports tree). You can make symlinks to the
binaries when you are done.

Good luck,

Fred