Kevin D. McAllister on Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:21:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] latex: narrow paragraph

* Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 04:27:56PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I'd like to be able to play games with paragraph widths and
> indents. Essentially I want to be able to change left and right
> indents from time to time. This happens in the quote environment, for
> example, but that's not always quite what I want.
>
>         For example, maybe I want a paragraph that is indented like
> 	this and wraps accordingly. You get the idea.
>
> Anyone know how to make this happen in latex (or TeX)? I thought about
> \indent, but that's only the first line.

you can use the \parbox command to stick your text into a box:
\parbox[position]{width}{text}

and I believe you should be able to stick an \hspace in front of
it so that will keep your text all lined up in the box and indent it
as far as you tell it in the \hspace

Although you must be careful not to overflow the body box (if you are
using the standard layout) or you will overflow the \parbox to the next line
and you won't see it indented

If you want even more control of the overall layout of the page, in a
simple manner, you can use the geometry package
\usepackage[body={8.5in,11in},top=0.15in,bottom=0.25in,left=0.5in,right=0.5in]{geometry}

useful in setting a generic page layout for a resume or something that
isn't really an article.

--
Kevin D. McAllister
kevin@mcallister.ws