W. Chris Shank on Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] wireless router

Be wary of PCMCIA wireless cards whose antenna don't pivot (antenna is
built-in) - these are very directional, which means that you often have
to face the laptop so the wireless card is pointed to the base station.
This has been very aggravating for me on many occasions.

I have an SMC barricade wireless router (need to be reset occassionaly -
maybe every 3 weeks, but i don't know if this is due to IP address
change on cable modem or if the router is faulty). I also have a SMC
wireless card - it's ok - nothing exceptional.

good luck

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 01:50, Paul wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for a, preferably low cost, wireless
> router with good range to operate between two apartment buildings which
> are almost directly across from each other.  The signal will need to go
> through a small utility room (AC, heater, water heater) on my side and a
> glass door on the other side.  Easily less than 100 feet apart.
>  (Translates to about 30 meters?)
>
> I've been wanting a wireless card for the laptop, but a card for a PC
> makes more sense.  Any recomendations for a PCI wireless card?  I've
> heard that they can be trouble.
>
> (This has been covered many times before, but a recomendation for a
> PCMCIA card would round out the information.  Orinoco Gold or Silver,
> right?)

W. Chris Shank <chris.shank@acetechgroup.com>
ACE Technology Group