Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:41:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Time & date sync'ing between systems

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:14:52PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 03:22 PM, Benjamin W. Dugan wrote:
>
> > What commands should I look into for using the date & time on one
> > computer on my network to set the date & time on my laptop?
>
> ntpd is the daemon to run while on the LAN and ntpdate is the one to
> run once at startup after your network is up but before the other
> daemons.  ntpdate does one hard set of your date/time and ntpd keeps it
> in synch by speeding up or slowing down the duration of individual
> seconds.

Note, though, that ntpd is considered by some to be a security risk if
it's running on a bare machine. (This is probably on the paranoid
side, but all security is.) So some sysadmins I know recommend running
ntpd from a machine that's behind your firewall and then running
ntpdate from the firewall machines (perhaps against your internal
machines).

If you're good with firewalls, of course, you can have your firewall
run ntpd against the internal machine in a way that's safe. I guess
there have been some exploits against ntpd over the years, I'm not
expert on that.

--
 Jeff