Tobias DiPasquale on Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:41:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] wireless router

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 01:50, Paul wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for a, preferably low cost, wireless
> router with good range to operate between two apartment buildings which
> are almost directly across from each other.  The signal will need to go
> through a small utility room (AC, heater, water heater) on my side and a
> glass door on the other side.  Easily less than 100 feet apart.
>  (Translates to about 30 meters?)

I just bought a Linksys wireless access point w/4-port router for $129
at MicroCenter, and it's been working great. I haven't seen any that
were cheaper than that, except maybe online (but I wanted it that same
day ;-)

> I've been wanting a wireless card for the laptop, but a card for a PC
> makes more sense.  Any recomendations for a PCI wireless card?  I've
> heard that they can be trouble.
>
> (This has been covered many times before, but a recomendation for a
> PCMCIA card would round out the information.  Orinoco Gold or Silver,
> right?)

Go with the Aironet cards, PCI or PCMCIA. They are the best and you can
pick them up on eBay for $50 or less. Plus, they are well supported
under Linux (having drivers in the 2.4.x kernels already). You'll be
sorry with anything else. I recommend the Cisco Aironet 350. It's got
everything you want, and it's probably the best wireless card out there
right now.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036