William H. Magill on Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:04:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] wireless router

On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 01:50 AM, Paul wrote:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a, preferably low cost, wireless router with good range to operate between two apartment buildings which are almost directly across from each other. The signal will need to go through a small utility room (AC, heater, water heater) on my side and a glass door on the other side. Easily less than 100 feet apart. (Translates to about 30 meters?)

I've been wanting a wireless card for the laptop, but a card for a PC makes more sense. Any recomendations for a PCI wireless card? I've heard that they can be trouble.

Apple's new 802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station comes with an antenna port, does wireless bridging now, supports a USB/ethernet printer for remote printing from wireless devices, and accepts ppp dial-in calls! $199 or 249 for the one with the external antenna connector and built-in modem. [Antennas are available separately from a number of sources including Dr. Bott.
(http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=9142)

At the moment I don't know which cards are being used, but their earlier cards were Lucent's. Apple's 11g card is assumed to be not PCMCIA, but I don't know.

However, with Apples 11g announcement, I would look for 11g PCMCIA cards to be widely available within 6-9 months. It only took 9-12 months for the market to respond to Apple's introduction of 11b.

11g is downward compatible with 11b; 11c requires completely new hardware purchases.
Expect 11c to die a Betamax death and 11g to replace it. (It's also not really superior, only a different frequency range.)

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com