Jeyes, David (371) on Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:21:06 -0500

RE: [PLUG] DirecTV switchover

Title: RE: [PLUG] DirecTV switchover

John Lavin wrote

>Well - I'm switched over to Speakeasy now.  Waiting for DNS to migrate
>to my new IP, but otherwise I'm all set.  I won't go into detail my
>aggrivation at Verizon for giving me almost 3 days downtime - its in the
>past now...

I'm surprised that it went so smoothly. I'm having a nightmare- I put in the order, although the phone bill's not in my name. Then I followed up 3 times, was told that I had gotten them the right info, before finally 11 days after my initial order I was back to square one. Oh, and I was hung up on. Then I was told that I wouldn't be charged for cancelling and received an invoice for 49 bucks! Then I called customer service and they wouldn't get rid of the charges until I threatened to cancel our new order (not at all concerned about living up to their word, only losing business)!

>One thing I was curious about from any other DirecTV people out there is
>if we still need to send them the old modem back even though they are
>now out of business.  When I signed on, I agreed to pay to ship it to me
>and ship it back.  I've got no problem doing so if they still want the
>thing but I don't want to send it if I don't have to.

There's a FAQ on directvinternet that says it's yours. I guess they don't feel like trying to get rid of them, or paying all of the shipping costs. Congratulations!