gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:41:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Time & date sync'ing between systems

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 02:52:16PM -0500, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Seroius question: what is that file?

Just a list, one per line, of hostnames or IP addresses for ntpdate
to poll before starting ntpd (so that the clock is within ntpd's
error range before it starts up, so it doesn't flake out and fail).

Red Hat (as of 7.2 or so, don't think it was there in 6.x)
automatically runs ntpdate before starting ntpd if it exists, and
doesn't if it doesn't.

You could also rig your own ntpdate stuff in before ntpd's rc file
starts (and I did, before I RTFM ;^>), but it feels more graceful to
go with their system on this, if only for maintainability by a third
party later. (I hate walking in and having to clean up after someone
who just *had* to have things their own way. Like, say, Dan
Bernstein... but that's a whole other rant.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net